About Rep. Alberta Tinsley-Talabi
State Representative Alberta Tinsley-Talabi is serving her third term in the House and represents Michigan’s 2nd House District, which includes the cities of Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park and a portion of Detroit.
State Rep. Alberta Tinsley-Talabi has shown time and time again that her commitment and love for the citizens of her district has and will always be a top priority. Born the sixth of eight children on Detroit’s east side, she is proud to still live in the house that she first called home. Rep. Tinsley-Talabi graduated from Scripps, Foch and Southeastern High School before earning a bachelor’s of science degree from Eastern Michigan University in 1976 with a dual major in social work and criminal justice. She also participated in the Join Together Leadership Institute Fellowship at Boston University and the Children First Fellowship at Washington State University.
Rep. Tinsley-Talabi is committed to improving our community by focusing on its families, neighbors and businesses. She has been instrumental in introducing cutting-edge programs to our community. These multiyear programs have focused on coalition building in the areas of job readiness, substance abuse prevention, and children and family services.
Rep. Tinsley-Talabi is committed to helping businesses grow and bring much-needed jobs to our community. She believes education is crucial to revitalizing Michigan and is fighting to ensure that all of our children have access to the quality education they need to reach their full potential and compete for good-paying jobs — no matter where they live. As our voice in Lansing, Rep. Tinsley-Talabi is working on issues that are crucial to our quality of life, such as helping constituents avoid foreclosure and stay in their homes, and ensuring seniors have access to the health care they need while also protecting them from financial predators.
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Rep. Tinsley-Talabi served on the Financial Liability Reform and Local Government committees.
State Rep. Tinsley-Talabi was selected by The National Foundation for Women Legislators (NFWL) to serve as their 2014–2015 state director. The NFWL was created to provide strategic resources for women leaders to be strong and effective legislators and to enhance leadership through information and shared experiences.
In December 2014, Rep. Tinsley-Talabi was awarded the Legislative Champion Award by The Coalition Protecting Auto No Fault.
City of Detroit - City Council Member (1993 to 2009)
• Chaired Public Health and Safety Committee
• Member of Budget, Finance and Audit Committee
• Responsible for creating Office of Targeted Business Development
• Added additional revenue yearly to firefighters and emergency medical services budgets
• Responsible for ordinance to allow persons to receive city owned property at reduced rate
• Sought for and successfully increased the number of federal grants received by City of Detroit for crime prevention, substance abuse prevention and treatment
Wayne County Commissioner (1987 to 1990)
• Member of Public Health Committee
• Held hearings on trade school recruitment procedures
• Responsible for increasing sheriff patrols in Detroit parks
• Supported funding for a new juvenile facility that would place emphasis on behavioral change and counseling
• Considered national expert on the impact of advertising messages targeting youth and inner city communities.
• National and local speaker on various subjects including grassroots organizing, substance abuse prevention and treatment options.
• Founder - Mack Alive - Detroit
• Founder - Coalition Against Billboard Advertising of Alcohol and Tobacco - Detroit
• Founder - Partnership for a Drug Free Detroit - Detroit
Awards More than 100 national and local awards received for leadership in the area of substance abuse Prevention and Community Service including: United States Office of Drug Czar Presidential Award; National Council on Alcoholism Detroit and Vicinity, two-time award recipient; Scenic America National Award for Beautification State of Michigan House Resolution; and Partnership For a Drug Free Detroit Leadership Award, two-time recipient.
Sign up for my E-newsletter Updates
I’m state Representative Alberta Tinsley-Talabi, and I serve Michigan’s 2nd House District.
Thank you for visiting my website. I’m honored to be your state representative, and I am fighting to ensure House District 2 gets its fair share from Lansing. As your elected official, I can help you with a number of state government issues including foreclosure assistance, unemployment benefits and health care services. Please contact me if I can be of help to you or your family.
State Representative Alberta Tinsley-Talabi
2nd House District